John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
That statement is just as startling today as it was 2000 years ago. It is startling because we don’t talk in terms of eating one’s flesh and drinking one’s blood. In fact, some during the years of the early church thought Christians were practicing a form of cannibalism. They were clearly confused. Nevertheless, Christ said that unless we consume His flesh and blood, we are eternally lost, without life, forever.
How does one eat His flesh and drink his blood? Again, Jesus provides the answer in John 6:29, “"This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." The word believe is the verb form of faith. One trusts in Christ alone for eternal life. The act of believing, trusting, faith-ing is the act of eating and drinking. In order to take Christ in for ourselves, we must know with whom we are dealing!
Who is this Jesus? Who is this one who says "For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed (John 6:55). Here is a short list of who Jesus is:
1. Jesus Created You: John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
2. Jesus Sustains You: Colossians. 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
3. Jesus Will Judge You: John 5 :22 "For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: "
Revelation 1:17-18 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.”
4. Jesus Loves You: John 6 :33 "For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world."
5. Jesus Sacrificed for You: John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life "
6. Jesus Will Save You: John 3:17 "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."
It is this Jesus who gives Himself for you to eat and drink.
Eating and drinking is a personal thing. I don’t like to have people push something right into my face and try to make me eat it. (One-year-old girls and three-year-old boys are known for doing such things to Daddy.) I like to choose what I eat and when I eat it. Some spiritual parallels apply:
1. What You Take In Becomes a Part of You. The knowledge of Christ is not a mental process of acknowledgment. You have to take Him in! He has to become the sustenance of your life.
2. Nobody Else Can Eat or Drink For You. Family, friends, colleagues, your church. Everyone can hope and pray that you’ll come to Christ. In the end, you must do your own eating.
3. Spiritually, Nobody Can Force Feed You. One day, I actually tried to make a horse drink.It doesn’t work. The old cliché about horses and water holds true. We cannot make people into Christians. People must come willingly and take Christ in. They themselves must eat his flesh and drink his blood.
4. Spiritually, Only One Food Will Work. Such talk is offensive to many people. It was when Christ spoke as well.
“From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, "Will ye also go away?”
Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God (John 6:66-69).”
Do you see the faith of Peter? He said, “We believe.” They had eaten Christ’s flesh and had drunk His blood. In this statement Peter recognizes that eternal life is found only in Jesus Christ.
This is a difficult statement, and many could not accept it. So they left. Jesus did not soften His position at all though. He simply asks, “Will ye also go away?”
And that is our choice. We either find life in Christ, or we “go away.”
For those who don’t know Christ, the Scriptures are here saying that Christ is the only source of life. You must take Him in.
I pray I never get full of the Lord's awesome meal.