LIBAW Christian Social Network

I would like to hear your thoughts on obedience, and if you equate it to love or legalism. 

The Apostle Paul's letters warned the Galatians (Chapters 3-6)and Philippians (Chapter 3) about the perils of legalism--the slavish keeping of the law and rituals in order to prove themselves righteous before God by their own effort--deriding it as a different gospel, as a heresy. 

Embracing legalism, he warns the Galatians, denies the sufficiency of Christ's saving grace and makes Christ's dying in vain.  To the Ephesians he says: We are justified not by our works but by grace through faith, which the free gift of God. (Ephesians 2.6-9)

Yet, Jesus clearly links our love for him with obeying his commandments (see verses posted below). 

--"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love." (2 John 1.6)

--"If you love me, obey my commandments." (John 14.15)

--"When you obey me, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father and remain in his love." (John 15.10).

--"For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome." (1 John 5.3)

--"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." (John 14.21)

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

*/ Was Jesus completely "legalistic?" /*

*/ How can we reconcile the writings of Paul against legalism with the sayings of Jesus linking love and obedience? /*

*/ Are obedience and legalism the same thing?  If not, how can we know the difference? 

*/ What is that motivates Christians today to become "legalistic?"  What are examples of legalism in the church today?

*/ How can we avoid getting caught up in the perils of legalism? /*

Tags: ephesians, faith, galatians, grace, legalism, paul, salvation, works

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't wait to dive into this one. I gotta get ready for work but best believe this one is gonna be on my mind today

I look forward to reading your response to this post.

Php 2:8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Ro 5:19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

Heb 5:8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.

Christians are called to obedience of faith. Ro 1:5-6 Through Him we have received grace & apostleship for Obedience to  the faith among all nations for His Name, among Whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ.  

Ro 16:25-27 according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began 26 but enow made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for fobedience to the faith—  to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.

This verse is pretty clear: Hebrews 5:9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.

This Scripture says ouch to the ones who believe they can do as they please & everything is alright with them & the Lord.

1 Pe 4:17 For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Great analogy. lolol. I wasn't finished either. This is going to be a good one

I need to dig thru some cruddy clothes but I'm afraid they will lose me

RSS

Latest Activity

Doris Anne Beaulieu posted a blog post
yesterday
Joseph J. Breunig 3rd posted a blog post
Thursday
pastor_rick@libaw.com shared their photo on Facebook
Thursday
Frank Montes and Rajesh I John Peter are now friends
Tuesday