LIBAW Christian Social Network

We all agree that Jesus was perfect. He was our perfect sacrifice for the atonement of our sins. Why in Luke 18:19 He would ask why someone would call Him good because no one was good except God alone?

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're just trying to make me think, aren't you?

:)

We need Colby : )

I've been patiently waiting on him. 

Sorry... I've been really busy this week and have not had any time to participate in the discussions.

"A certain ruler asked Jesus, 'Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?' 'Why do you call me good?' Jesus answered. 'No one is good—except God alone' "(Luke 18.18-19. 

Some pounce on this verse as proof that Jesus isn't God.  They say Jesus is denying his divinity by saying only God is good.  That's one possible intepretation, but it's the wrong one.

But wait, did Jesus say he wasn't good?  You see, if you read these two verses again carefully and the verses that follow it, nowhere does Jesus deny being good.  On the contrary, if you turn to the Gospel of John, Jesus calls himself the "good shepherd" in 10.11 and 10.14.  Therefore, it follows logically that if: (1) only God is good; and (2) Jesus is good; then (3) it's true that Jesus is God.

Still you might wonder, why does Jesus answer a question with a question?  Obviously, he realizes that the wealthy ruler is paying him a false compliment and is insincere.  Jesus knows what the man is thinking.  When the wealthy man calls Jesus a "good teacher," and then goes on to ask our Lord what he must do to obtain eternal life, Jesus says: "Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me" (v.22).  The wealthy man does not like this answer and moves on.  In other words, Jesus is letting the man know that he knows the rich man is going to reject his advice. Jesus is saying, in effect, why are you calling me the "good teacher," asking me what you must do to obtain eternal life, when in the next breath you're going to blow off my answer?

OK. I never really read it that way but you're right, He never says He isn't good. Great perception there. He said only God was good & since He was God, He was good. Nice. And you would think if He's being sarcastic, I would have caught that.

Ahhhh... I see : ).

RSS

Latest Activity

john claiborne shared a profile on Facebook
7 hours ago
Kenneth King left a comment for Kenneth King
8 hours ago
Billie Poor Bear Sanchez posted a status
"Relaxin tonite with my kids,had a long and busy week. Feeling Loved by those surrounding me :-)"
yesterday
Lamar Carter liked Rebecca's photo
yesterday
Lamar Carter liked Rebecca's photo
yesterday
Lamar Carter liked Rebecca's profile
yesterday
Lamar Carter updated their profile
yesterday
Jason Vascillious Simpkins updated their profile
Thursday

© 2014   Created by Pastor Greg.