LIBAW Christian Social Network

When we pray do we actually pray? I mean are we really praying with
our hearts or our minds? When Jesus said to pray HE said to pray
with our hearts "Dont pray as the hypocrits do in the synagogue and
on the street corner. But go into your room and shut your door and
pray." You see when we pray from the synagogue and street corner we
are praying only to let others see us. But when we go into our rooms
with the door shut we pray in a way that Jesus will see us only. You
see we should pray so that only Jesus gets the glory and not man.
When we pray we should pray with our hearts and not our minds. It
also does not matter how you pray. You can pray standing up, or
laying down or sitting, or on your knees. It really doesnt matter.
Heres a story I want to share with and it goes like this "There was
this man and he was in this reasturant. He happened to over hear
three ladys talking about prayer. The first one said 'I like to pray
standing up.' While the second one said 'I like to pray sitting
down.' Finale the third one said 'I like to pray lying down.' Over
hearing this the man could not take it anymore so he walked over to
the three ladys and said 'My best prayer was when I said a prayer
upside down haning 50 feet in the air." You see it doesnt matter how
we say it matters if it comes from the heart. So remember Jesus is
looking for a prayer that comes from the heart,and will pray from the heart not the mind.

Tags: prayer

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess the man's best prayer was when he was falling from a plane or something? Great topic. We haven't discussed this one in a while.

Praying in the Spirit is mentioned three times in Scripture. First Corinthians 14:15 says, “So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.” Ephesians 6:18 says, “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.” Jude 20 says, “But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.” So, what exactly does it mean to pray in the Spirit?

The Greek word translated “pray in” can have several different meanings. It can mean “by means of,” “with the help of,” “in the sphere of,” and “in connection to.” Praying in the Spirit does not refer to the words we are saying. Rather, it refers to how we are praying. Praying in the Spirit is praying according to the Spirit’s leading. It is praying for things the Spirit leads us to pray for. Romans 8:26 tells us, “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.”

Some, based on 1 Corinthians 14:15, equate praying in the Spirit with praying in tongues. Discussing the gift of tongues, Paul mentions “pray with my spirit.” First Corinthians 14:14 states that when a person prays in tongues, he does not know what he is saying, since it is spoken in a language he does not know. Further, no one else can understand what is being said, unless there is an interpreter (1 Corinthians 14:27-28). In Ephesians 6:18, Paul instructs us to “pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” How are we to pray with all kinds of prayers and requests and pray for the saints, if no one, including the person praying, understands what is being said? Therefore, praying in the Spirit should be understood as praying in the power of the Spirit, by the leading of the Spirit, and according to His will.

gotQuestions.org

Through prayer we communicate meaningfully with and deepen our relationship with God. Prayer, simply, is listening and talking to God; an integral part of our Christian walk.

An excellent example of how we ought to pray is Cornelius, a devout God-fearing man and centurion mentioned in Acts 10.

Now there was a man at Caesarea named Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian cohort, a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, and gave many alms to the Jewish people and prayed to God continually. About the ninth hour of the day he clearly saw in a vision an angel of God who had just come in and said to him, “Cornelius!” And fixing his gaze on him and being much alarmed, he said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said to him, “Your prayers and alms have ascended as a memorial before God" (Acts 10.1-4).

Cornelius, who "prayed to God continually," had the kind of prayer life that we should aspire to. One in which God could say to us, "your prayers have ascended as a memorial before me."

We may feel convicted that we do not pray enough or guilty that we spend too little time in prayer. At times we may look at prayer as a chore, an obligation that we fulfill by routine and with little conviction.  At times we want to pray but find ourselves at a loss for words.

The Bible provides prayers as models for us, and it provides us with the revelation of God to which we can respond. By using your Bible, God begins the conversation and your prayer becomes a response to him. Scripture provides prayers to pray when you are at a loss for words. Scripture provides language to use in addressing God and the topics to pray about. And Scripture gives you something to pray about, something to respond to in prayer.

There are prayers in the New Testament such as that of the Apostles in Acts 4:24-30, responding to the threats made against them, and in Revelation of the 24 elders in 11:17-18. Paul tells his readers in several of his letters what he prays for concerning them. There is The Lord’s Prayer that Jesus taught us, and his prayer in Gethsemane recorded in John 17. The great prayer book, of course, is the Book of Psalms. There we have 150 prayers and calls to prayer.

The Bible provides us with much guidance as to how and in what manner we should pray. Here are a verses.

• The Apostle James writes about faithful prayer in James 5.13-18.
  • From the Apostle Paul:
    • "Pray without ceasing," he urges the Church at Thessalonia (1 Thes 5.17).
    • To the Ephesians, he writes, "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests" (6.18).
    • To the Colossians, he writes, "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful" (4.2).
    • To the Phillipians, he writes, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (4.6).
    • In Romans 12.12, Paul says, "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."
  • Jesus tells us how to pray in Matthew 6 and in Luke 18.1 he reminds the apostles they should always pray and never give up.
  • Hebrews 5.7 tells us that Jesus' prayers were heard by his Father because he prayed with "reverence."

Let us pray.

RSS

Latest Activity

Richard Hobart posted a status
"Good morning from New York State! God bless you!"
23 hours ago
Frank Montes posted a status
"getting ready to praise the Lord!!"
yesterday
john claiborne shared a profile on Facebook
yesterday
Kenneth King left a comment for Kenneth King
yesterday
Billie Poor Bear Sanchez posted a status
"Relaxin tonite with my kids,had a long and busy week. Feeling Loved by those surrounding me :-)"
Saturday
Lamar Carter liked Rebecca's photo
Friday
Lamar Carter liked Rebecca's photo
Friday
Lamar Carter liked Rebecca's profile
Friday

© 2014   Created by Pastor Greg.

Widget  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service