LIBAW Christian Social Network

You have heard it said.. "God hates the sin, loves the sinner" and "We are called to love the sinner, but hate the sin"

It is true God loves the sinner. Romans 5:8 "but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

But does God also hate sinners?

Psalm 5:5 "The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
   you hate all evildoers."

Your thoughts on this? 

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting Dave

I might add that not only will you be apart from the grace of God. But you will experience his full wrath. How bad is his wrath? So bad that it caused Jesus (God himself) to sweat blood in the Garden of Gethsemane. It wasn't the separation from the Father he was worried about. It was the cup of his wrath!

Luke 22:39 39 And He came out and proceeded as was His custom to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples also followed Him. 40When He arrived at the place, He said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” 41 And He withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and began to pray, 42 saying, “Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.”

Awesome Jackie!!!

No. God does not hate the sinner. God hates what they do. (SIN).

A great post; I found the responses illuminating.

"God hates sin but loves the sinner," a Christianese cliche we hear often, is one I do not utter.  In my experience, it is mostly misused or misunderstood.  Here is why I say this.

On the one hand, this cliche can be used to justify a self-serving complacency about continuing in sin:  "Even though I sin, God still loves me."  (Which reminds me of the question Paul raised: Should I sin more so that grace might abound?)  On the other hand, it is often spoken by modern-day Pharisees.  Make no mistake, as they utter the phrase, their voices drip with hateful sarcasm and condescension.

I am reminded of the Gospel verse quoting Jesus saying, “let him who is without sin cast the first stone” (John 8.7 and alluding to Deuteronomy 17.7), to a crowd that has gathered to stone a woman caught in the act of adultery. 

This verse is often quoted to silence other Christians that we believe are being "judgmental," and hypocritical in that they are quick to publicly criticize the sins of others while they are just as sinful in private.

However, Christians should not presume, therefore, that we are not to judge behavior, not to call out sin, or that there is no such thing as right and wrong.  The Bible clearly lays out a moral code, of laws established by God, which we are commanded to obey.  Drunkeness, theft, murder, and adultery, for example, are mentioned as examples of behavior that are clear violations of God's law.  God does not condone sin, and sin separates us from him.

When we see others talking or acting in ways that we believe contradict the spirit or letter of God's Word and go against his will, how should we react?  Should we be silent?  Should we blow our trumpets?  I believe we should follow Jesus' example, without coming across as hateful or condescending, leaving open the door to repentance and forgiveness. 

Jesus' saying about casting stones reminds me that each of us struggles with weakness and sin in our lives.  If we deny that we sin, but call out others for their sins, then we are being inauthentic.  Others come to see us as hypocrites for seeing the speck in their eyes while ignoring the plank in ours.  This serves to drive the sinner even further from the Gospel and repentance.

Jesus fellowshipped and dined with sinners, including prostitutes, tax collectors and thieves.  That does not mean he condoned their sinful behavior. 

And that takes us to the other part of the story where Jesus tells the woman to "sin no more."  He does not proceed to give her a tongue lashing for her sinful behavior.  On the contrary, he makes it clear that while he offers grace and forgiveness, her behavior is sinful, destructive and must be ended.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3.16).

nice Colby nice. Really enjoyed this

Interesting everyone pointing out at least 2 different aspects of Gods Love. Because He loves He must Hate. Because He is pleased with faith. I pose to you that He must be angry with sinners. Nice discussion.

Psa 7:10  My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart.
Psa 7:11  God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
Psa 7:12  If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready.
Psa 7:13  He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordaineth his arrows against the persecutors.

RSS

Latest Activity

Lalena Fair, M.Div. liked shadrick mark's profile
1 hour ago
Lalena Fair, M.Div. updated their profile
2 hours ago
C.Charles left a comment for shadrick mark
yesterday
C.Charles and shadrick mark are now friends
yesterday
shadrick mark liked Sarah Boone's profile
Monday